The cast list has also grown:
OLD DOCK GANG
- Madok – Leader.
- DINDRAYN – Girl Thief. Blonde. RM calls her “little sister” and treats her as a Sword Triber.
- Catigern Longfinger – Ultimate pickpocket
- Aglovale the Key – Ultimate burglar
- Brangaine – female cook
OLD DOCK AUTHORITY
- Prefect LUKAN: Hereditory prefect. His family have seen better days.
- Laudine: Lukan’s sister.
NEW DOCK GANG
All a bit older.
- JAZERANT – Jaded leader
- Howel – brother and trusted second in command.
- Gwyn the Knife – knife thrower. Mortally wounded by Ravenmirth
- Edern, Prefect of New Dock: More concerned with turf than justice.
Position pretty much straits of Gibraltar. Locations:
- Shiptomb Strand: Lee shore. The western quarter of the city borders the Worldgirdle Ocean. “Crumbling sea defences.” “Where crap gets washed up”
- Old Docks: Behind the great northern mole. Silted up. Used only by fishermen with low-draught boats. Handy for lee shore. “Once great”
- New Docks (100 years old): Kept clear by a diverted river. Policed by the Port Authority Proctors. “Commercial Hub” “The world passes through” “My turf, not yours”
- Council of the Seven: They run both the city and the empire.
- Council of the Wise: Oligarchy.
So — further to the earlier discussion of what I called agnast: The broad sweep of the entire novel feels good. However, I don’t yet know the characters, am not yet in love with the city, so this outline feels dishearteningly flat. At this point I could reformat my harddrive and go on a 48-hour bender ending. However, I prefer to trust my technique and keep moving. Only in the writing will this start to come alive…